Vice President, Perioperative Services
Company: South Shore Health System
Posted on: September 23, 2022
Job Description SummaryUnder the leadership of the Executive
Vice President and Chief Operating Officer(EVP), the Vice President
of Peri-operative Services (VP) is accountable for the overall
administrative leadership, strategic implementation, capital
planning and cost center financial performance of the operations of
Peri-operative Services.Job DescriptionESSENTIAL
- Under the general guidance of the EVP and in alignment and
collaboration the Surgeon-in-Chief with the South Shore Health
Operating Room Committee, determines the overall direction, goals,
tactics, and objectives of Peri-operative Services. Works with the
EVP and the SVP for Strategy to establish and achieve long range
goals, and ensures the implementation of strategic business plans
that are aligned with the vision, strategic plans, and goals of the
- Serves as Co-Chair the South Shore Operating Health Operating
Committee and Operating Room Executive Committee
- Serves as a critical leader in South Shore Health's ability to
actively manage it assets. Leading performance improvement
initiatives, presenting data and trends System-wide, and working to
optimize volume, utilization, and year over year performance.
- Ensures healthy and collaborative relationships among the
faculty and staff within Peri-operative Services, and with the
hospital, the related departments, and across South Shore
- Continuously assesses and improves the efficiency of systems
and processes across Peri-operative Services.
- In partnership with the other SVP's and VP, collaborates on
issues related to multi-disciplinary Peri-operative operations and
- Develops and implements policies and procedures consonant with
the hospital's policies. Assesses administrative and financial
needs of the department and revises policies and procedures to meet
- Evaluates, initiates, and implements various systems and
procedures, and revises as necessary to maximize efficiency.
- Serves as a resource for resolution of administrative
questions, issues, and problems.
- Works with management staff and representatives from other
departments to evaluate, initiate, and implement systems and
procedures and revises as necessary to improve and maximize
- Develops effective, clear, and precise methods of communicating
with the EVP, and with hospital and physician leaders, clinical
faculty, and staff on a regular basis.
- Keeps current regarding trends and developments in the health
care field, particularly when they pertain to strategic planning,
analytic and decision support tools, financial trends, evolving
technologies and programs.Service Management
- In partnership with physician, nursing, and operational
leadership at each site, supports the provision of harmonious,
collaborative, safe and high-quality care and the timely and
efficient use of the surgical assets across the System
- Reviews the ongoing management of Peri-operative Services,
discusses and resolves any administrative problems that arise, and
directs the planning of improvements in existing clinical
- Enhance the current perioperative service to develop an
(productive, transparent, safe) place to work for surgeons and high
quality and efficient place for our patients
- In collaboration with the Surgeon-in-Chief, supports the
management of the OR block review and allocation process across the
System entities within the SSH Operating Committee.
- In alignment with SSH Operating Committee:
- Analyzes data to understand the drivers of capacity; uses
formulas and modeling to impact more efficient patient
- Optimizes value by encouraging use of data to drive decisions,
depersonalizing processes and allowing clinical and administrative
staff to actively engage in process improvement activities that
reduce cost and improve revenue.
- Supports implementation of process improvement pilots where the
goal is effective management of patient capacity.
- Implements novel strategies to centralize all different entry
modes to the inpatient and ED environments that impact throughput
in operative areas.
- Facilitates the effective coordination of patient placement.
- Quality & Compliance
- Works in concert with the Surgeon-in-Chief Surgeon, SVP for
Quality and Safety and the Associate Chief Nursing Officer (ACNO)
to maintain the highest of quality and safety standards.
- Co-leads, with Surgeon-in-Chief and ACNO, interdisciplinary
initiatives with nursing, clinical support services, clinical
faculty, and ancillary service to ensure safe, predictable,
efficient and effective delivery of Peri-operative Services.
- In collaboration with interdisciplinary hospital, physician,
and nursing leaders, directs the development and implementation of
process improvement initiatives aimed at improving patient safety
and compliance across the continuum of care.
- Assures compliance with SSH, TJC, OSHA, DPH, and state and
- Partners with the appropriate compliance offices for audits as
needed and/or directed.
- Information Systems
- Partners with clinical and administrative leaders to identify,
prioritize, implement, and monitor progress of information system
enhancements and upgrades, as well as new system
- In collaboration with the Vice President of Support Services,
oversees all physical space that is part of the System's surgical
- Takes a leadership role in planning and space allocation for
all current and future surgical assets across the System
- Oversees vendor relationships for Peri-operative Services.
- Partners with the SVP for Support Services on all capital
planning relative to Peri-operative Services.
- Oversees device utilization planning and product approval
processes for Peri-operative Services.Financial ManagementFiscal
- Responsible for the cost center fiscal management of all areas
- Establishes and achieves financial goals and measures,
monitors, and ensures the on-going financial performance of
- Facilitates effective cost containment practices through
monitoring of volume trends, proactive management of capacity
(physical and human resource), supplies, service contracts, and
professional services agreements.
- Oversees expense management issues; performs comparative
analyses; develops and implements strategies for cost containment.
- Professional Billing Oversight
- Coordinate with Finance to create standard reporting of all
Clinical Departments under the VP
- Partner with Medical Staff office to ensure compliance with all
policies related to credentialing and enrollment
- Resolve any professional billing issues on a timely basis
- Analysis & Reporting
- Examines, analyzes, and interprets financial reports for the
purpose of giving advice, preparing statements and projections, and
ultimately managing resources.
- In partnership with the EVP, prepares analyses and forecasting
for introduction of new programs/services.
- Understands and meets all financial reporting requirements in
the prescribed format, per the direction of the EVP and the
applicable budget office.
- Partners with the EVP and the departments to prepare annual
hospital budgets in the prescribed format for the responsible areas
of Peri-operative Services. Presents and justifies budget requests
to the EVP.
- Supervises the activities of subordinates who are responsible
for being familiar with and approving all expenditures, assigning
cost centers, monitoring compliance with budgets, and identifying
and investigating potential problem areas and proposing
- Ensure that the highest standards of integrity, ethics,
control, and confidentiality are maintained at all times across all
financial and accounting matters under the purview of the
- Partners with the Chief Clinical Officer and SVP for strategy
to align the system goals and ongoing network developments with the
capacity and functional needs of the Perioperative services to meet
- Consults with surgical leaders across South Shore Health to
advice on operational policies and practices.
- Supports implementation of active asset management across the
system. As a role model and teacher to others, active participant
in rationalizing where care is delivered, and supporting the
development of predictive capabilities.
- Assumes a senior leadership role in the South Shore Value
- As a part of South Shore Health initiatives, leads
standardization efforts aimed at cost savings, efficiency and best
practices for patient care.Human Resources Management
- Management Actions
- Coordinates with Human Resources for the interviewing, hiring,
personnel transactions (hiring, salaries, promotions, job
descriptions, etc.) and implementing of institutional corrective
action policy for staff.
- Using Workday, initiates, approves, and coordinates with Human
Resources for approval of human resources changes (i.e. salary
adjustments, salary distributions, training records, etc.) for
staff who reside under the VP's team.
- Prepares performance reviews on direct reports.
- Takes corrective and disciplinary action, up to and including
termination, as necessary to maintain the highest level of staff
productivity and effectiveness.
- Provides direct supervision to, and is responsible for, the
conduct, operations, and results of the professional and
- Develops and implements change management programs including
efficiency and resource utilization projects.
- In times of transition, supports areas that require interim
- Actively considers opportunities to grow the abilities, skills,
and support of employees within Peri-operative Services through
professional development, enhanced communication vehicles,
employee-focused initiatives, and otherwise.
- Reviews, supports, and ensures salary and wage equity for
- Creates a supportive, educational, and development-focused
environment for all staff.
- Ensures the support and maintenance of a diverse, inclusive,
and professional environment for all staff.
- Develops, implements, oversees, and approves departmental
policies, procedures and systems and revises as necessary to
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with regulatory bodies and
making managers aware of policy and procedure changes.Other
- Oversee general administrative matters within Peri-operative
- Develop letters, presentations, announcements, and other
communications. All documents must be of the highest caliber of
refinement and professionalism.
- Serve as a stand-in for the EVP in relevant meetings when the
EVP is not available. Serve on committees as needed or assigned by
- Lead or participate in special projects and perform other
related tasks as requested or required.JOB REQUIREMENTSMinimum
EducationMBA, MHA, MPH, or equivalent degree required.Minimum Work
Experience10-12 years administrative/management experience
required, preferably in a hospital setting.Supervisory experience
required.Required additional Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to create business trends and process analyses, profit
and loss statements, operational reviews, and identification of
system weaknesses. Demonstrated experience in operations, project
management, strategy development, business and financial planning,
budgeting, and financial reporting.
- Ability to manage many competing timetables and
responsibilities. The ability to delegate, effectively supervise,
and plan for the timely and successful completion of short- and
long-term objectives is essential. The responsibilities of this
position require detailed, concentrated effort and constant
re-establishment of priorities as well as complex and sensitive
- Ability to conceptualize systems approaches to problem solving
and interrelationships of clinical, teaching, and research
- Ability to effectively relate to a large and diverse
constituency of individuals, including senior leaders,
administrative staff, faculty at all levels, trainees and staff,
representatives of other offices, and vendors. Must include
superior skills in financial, written, and oral formats.
- Ability to facilitate obtainment of cooperation and support
from a broad range of people. Demonstrated ability to interact with
all members of the organization in ways that enhance understanding,
respect, collaboration, and problem solving.
- Ability to come to settlement in situations that are complex,
sensitive, and often multi-institutional.
- Ability to ensure the rights and responsibilities of all
constituents are fairly and accurately represented.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively at all
levels of a complex organization.
- Ability to generate and encourage creative ideas, innovative
thinking, and imaginative solutions to issues or problems.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office (Access, Excel, PowerPoint, and
Outlook) and financial systems.
- Ability to maintain the highest standards of performance,
quality, credibility, and integrity.
- Ability to maintain extraordinarily professional discretion in
the handling of highly confidential and/or political information
Keywords: South Shore Health System, Weymouth , Vice President, Perioperative Services, Executive , Weymouth, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!