Shift Leader -Weekend Overnight- Weymouth Winter Shelter
Company: Bay Cove Human Services
Posted on: January 24, 2023
Shift Leader -Weekend Overnight- Weymouth Winter Shelter
Weymouth, MA, USA
Tuesday, December 20, 2022
Department/Program: Addiction Services Housing and Homeless
Reports To: Director of Emergency Initiatives
* NoneJob Summary:The person in this role has a leadership
responsibility, working closely with shift Direct Care Advocates to
ensure the smooth operation of the program. The Shift Leader is
responsible for creating a welcoming and safe place for homeless
adults who are living on the street to come inside during the night
hours so that they get respite from hazardous weather conditions.
The program offers a low threshold environment that is predicated
on harm reduction. The goal is to support safety and engagement of
people who are reticent to utilize emergency shelters and/or work
towards establishing permanent housing. The staff person in this
role will promote safety by offering respectful support and
consistent application of policies and procedures established for
the safety of each person served and all stakeholders of the
Weymouth Winter Shelter community. This is a non-exempt
Essential Functions of the Position:* Compile enter and distribute
the nightly census.
* Order program supplies and monitor inventory of program
* Monitor ample coverage in all program areas by the team in order
to ensure respectful interaction with guests and that routines and
safety procedures are followed.
* Work closely with the Homeless Services Operations Manager to
manage the weekly schedule in Dayforce
* Manage shift coverage by contacting relief staff or assigning
overtime to counselors when necessary.
* Co-facilitate the regularly scheduled program team meeting with
the Homeless Services Operations Manager.
* Act in a Security Officer and/or Direct Care Advocate capacity as
* Facilitate access in a respectful, safe, and efficient manner to
get all guests into the Weymouth Winter Shelter.
* Respond to all requests and emergencies in a manner that
respectfully attends to the immediate concern.
* Intervenes with guests in a manner that de-escalates anxious,
pressured or overtly worrisome behaviors and safety concerns.
* Communicates with on-site co-workers in real time through use of
cell/push phone system in a manner that optimizes effective
communication of any concerns and delivery of the Weymouth Winter
* Provide care for guests and maintain safety by visual monitoring
of all guests, conducting safety checks throughout the space,
providing as needed escort off the community space, actively and
assists in set up and cleanup of all activities such as
intake/access, personal belongings storage, food & meal serving,
* Assists in all end of shift wrap up activities including
assisting with all clean-up of space, trash removal, and
arrangement of furniture and supplies.
* Completes required documentation at intake, HMIS (Homeless
Management Information System), incident reporting, etc. as
* Provides as needed monitoring of the area outside the program
(parking lot, line in front of building, and area that trash is
maintained) in order to optimize safety of guests, neighbors, and
essential health standards.
* Assists guests in urgent need to secure shower, clothing, and
* Participates in regularly scheduled staff meetings and
* Works collaboratively with all community partners including
neighbors/abutters, police and other law enforcement personnel,
Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and other first responders, in a
respectful and responsive manner.
* Administers Narcan as needed to mitigate opiate overdose and
* Follows plans and restrictions established by Weymouth Winter
Shelter leadership and team members.
* Follows all SafeServe practices to optimize the health and
wellness of all guests.
* Adheres to universal precautions in all activities.
* Recognizes that the majority of guests have endured trauma and
employs trauma informed care in all interactions.
* Respond immediately to all medical and behavioral health
emergencies appropriately (such as administering first aid, CPR,
calling EMS/BEST, or first responders to address and resolve the
* Maintains confidentiality of all guests and their circumstances
except for those team members, collateral partners, and emergency
first responders with a designated need to know.
* Other duties as assigned by Homeless Services Operations Manager
or his/her designee
Requirements of the Position:* High School Diploma or GED
* Knowledge of modality specific issues, such as addiction, serious
mental illness, and homelessness.
* CPR/First Aid Training
* Must stay current with any modality required training, including
HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C, Narcan, Servsafe, PREVENT, Harassment,
* Ability to present calmly in pressured and crisis situations and
be able to exercise sound judgment, and establish safe boundaries
in order to effectively address guest concerns and/or respond to
emergencies as they arise.
* Good written and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to follow and consistently implement policies and
procedures of the program.
* Be able to work independently.
* Ability to perform assigned duties in a manner that promotes the
dignity of each person served and optimizes safety for the Weymouth
Winter Shelter community
* Able to accept supervision and be part of a team.
* Ability to work in an effective and calm manner with people who
are under significant personal stress.
* Ability to respond physically to needs of the guests and all
* A COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the position. One
COVID-19 shot is acceptable, contingent on the individual receiving
the second shot within the allotted time frame.While performing the
duties of this job the employee will be exposed to active substance
use in the work environment. Staff may be exposed to guests that
bring traumatic personal histories and vulnerability. The noise
level in the work environment is usually loud. Guest regularly
present with long histories of trauma and complex physical and
behavioral health disorders. Given the persistent stresses
experienced by guests, these men and women can sometimes present
with uncertain, unpredictable, and potentially unsafe
- Weymouth, MA, USA
Share this job:
Keywords: Bay Cove Human Services, Weymouth , Shift Leader -Weekend Overnight- Weymouth Winter Shelter, Hospitality & Tourism , Weymouth, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!