Direct Service Advocate - Weymouth Winter Shelter-Evenings
Company: Bay Cove Human Services
Posted on: January 24, 2023
Direct Service Advocate - Weymouth Winter Shelter--Evenings
Weymouth, MA, USA
Tuesday, December 20, 2022
Department/Program: Addiction Services Housing & Homeless
Reports To: Director of Emergency InitiativesJob Summary: The
Direct Service Advocate (DSA) in this role is responsible for
creating a welcoming and safe environment for homeless adults who
are unsheltered. The goal of the Weymouth Winter Shelter is to
offer lifesaving shelter to unsheltered homeless adults throughout
the winter months and to support safety and engagement of people
who are reticent to utilize emergency shelters. The Weymouth Winter
Shelter offers a low threshold environment that is predicated on
harm reduction principles. The DSA in this role will promote safety
by offering respectful support and consistent application of
policies and procedures established for the safety of each person
served and all stakeholders of the Weymouth Winter Shelter
community. This is a non-exempt position. Essential Functions of
Position (may include some or all of the following, based on
* Facilitate access in a respectful, safe, and efficient manner to
get all guests into the Weymouth Winter Shelter.
* Respond to all requests and emergencies in a manner that
respectfully attends to the immediate concern.
* Intervenes with guests in a manner that de-escalates anxious,
pressured or overtly worrisome behaviors and safety concerns.
* Communicates with on-site co-workers in real time through use of
cell/push phone system in a manner that optimizes effective
communication of any concerns and delivery of the Weymouth Winter
Shelter. Contacts on-call staff when necessary.
* Provide care for guests and maintain safety by visual monitoring
of all guests, conducting safety checks throughout the space,
actively and respectfully interacting with guests and the team to
ensure a routines and safety procedures are followed.
* Assists in set up and cleanup of all activities such as
intake/access, personal belongings storage, food & meal serving,
* Assists in all end of shift wrap up activities including
assisting with all clean-up of space, trash removal, and
arrangement of furniture and supplies to ensure readiness for the
Senior Center opening each morning
* Completes required documentation at intake, HMIS (Homeless
Management Information System), incident reporting, etc. as
* Provides as needed monitoring of the area outside the program
(parking lot, line at front door of the Weymouth Winter Shelter,
and area that trash is maintained) in order to optimize safety of
guests, neighbors, and essential health standards.
* Assists guests in urgent need to secure shower, clothing, and
* Participates in weekly staff meetings and supervisions.
* Works collaboratively with all community partners including
neighbors/abutters, Weymouth Police and other law enforcement
personnel, Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and other first
responders, in a respectful and responsive manner.
* Administers Narcan as needed to mitigate opiate overdose and
* Follows plans and restrictions established by Weymouth Winter
Shelter leadership and team members.
* Follows all ServSafe practices to optimize the health and
wellness of all guests.
* Adheres to universal precautions in all activities.
* Recognizes that the majority of guests have endured trauma and
employs trauma informed care in all interactions.
* Respond immediately to all medical and behavioral health
emergencies appropriately (such as administering first aid, CPR,
calling EMS/BEST, or first responders to address and resolve the
* Maintains confidentiality of all guests and their circumstances
except for those team members, collateral partners, and emergency
first responders with a designated need to know.
* Other duties as assigned by Program Director or his/her
Requirements for the position:
* High School Diploma or GED
* Knowledge of modality specific issues, such as substance use,
serious mental illness, and homelessness.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration Required:
* CPR/First Aid Training
* Must stay current with any modality required training, including
HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C, Narcan, ServSafe, PREVENT, Harassment,
* Good written and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to follow and consistently implement policies and
procedures of the program.
* Be able to work independently.
* Ability to perform assigned duties in a manner that promotes the
dignity of each person served and optimizes safety for the Weymouth
Winter Shelter community
* Able to accept supervision and be part of a team.
* Ability to work in an effective and calm manner with people who
are under significant personal stress.
* Ability to respond physically to needs of the guests and all
* A COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the position. One
COVID-19 shot is acceptable, contingent on the individual receiving
the second shot within the allotted time frame. Physical
Requirements:(The Physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform essential functions.)The employee may
regularly be required to sit, stand, use hands, talk, hear, reach
with arms, walk, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl
or run. The employee may regularly be required to move, by pushing,
pulling or lifting up to 25 pounds.The employee must present calmly
in pressured and crisis situations and be able to exercise sound
judgment, and establish safe boundaries in order to effectively
address guest concerns and/or respond to emergencies as they
While performing the duties of this job the employee will be
exposed to active substance use, as well as to guests that bring
traumatic personal histories and vulnerability. The noise level in
the work environment is usually loud. Guest regularly present with
long histories of trauma and complex physical and behavioral health
disorders. Given the persistent stresses experienced by guests,
these men and women can sometimes present with uncertain,
unpredictable, and potentially unsafe behaviors.
- Weymouth, MA, USA
Share this job:
Keywords: Bay Cove Human Services, Weymouth , Direct Service Advocate - Weymouth Winter Shelter-Evenings, Other , Weymouth, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!